Every business owns intellectual property rights, which may be registered or unregistered.
The legal protection of such assets is not always straightforward or obvious. Understanding this, our lawyers are able to guide our clients through these complex issues to enable them to obtain an appropriate level of protection for their businesses. We also advise clients on how to exploit such rights, which may be through joint ventures, franchising or licensing.
Obtaining and enforcing intellectual property rights are essential in order to prevent third parties from taking unfair advantage of the investment and innovation made in a business. Failure to take action can often have a direct impact on the bottom line. On every occasion, we try to reduce the risk of our clients becoming involved in intellectual property litigation whenever possible, but if it is impossible to resolve a dispute by agreement, the team has extensive experience of handling court cases. Our team is well known for their strategic and tactical advice, and are always looking to achieve the best outcome for clients.
We have a full service intellectual property team at Foot Anstey dealing with the protection, enforcement and exploitation of intellectual property rights around the world, either directly or through our carefully selected associated firms. Our clients include start ups, small to medium sized businesses and large international companies. This experience extends to advising on all intellectual property issues including trade marks, design, patents, domain names, passing off, confidential information, licensing, sponsoring, and franchising.
Our key areas of expertise include:
- Filing and prosecuting trade marks around the world, conducting availability searches and providing strategic advice on intellectual property protection
- Trade mark proceedings such as oppositions, invalidity and revocation actions before the UKIPO and EUIPO
- Resolving intellectual property disputes through pre-action correspondence or alternative dispute resolution
- Bringing and defending court proceedings including applications for interim injunctions, default judgments, summary judgments and ISP blocking orders
- Domain name disputes through Nominet or WIPO
- Taking action against unlawful parallel imported and counterfeit goods through the courts (civil or criminal action), Trading Standards and Customs
- Issuing trade down notices to online platforms such as Amazon and eBay and website hosts
- Drafting and advising clients on franchising, licensing, sponsorship deals, and confidential agreement
MEET THE TEAM
Please click here to meet our full-service intellectual property team.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY...
"They're very good, and have a commercial, business-focused approach." Chambers UK
Foot Anstey advises media and entertainment clients on licensing merchandise and brand protection. The ‘smart and thoughtful’ Martin Cuell acted for Aardman Animations on licensing its characters. Legal 500
We are a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA), The European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA) and The Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA).