Career and experience
Zahir is a partner and advises on a range of real estate driven transactions for both investors and financial institutions, with a particular focus on Islamic and ethical investment structuring and product development.
He joined the firm in 2012 as one of the first fee earners in our then newly established Bristol office and returned to Foot Anstey in 2019 following a role as General Counsel at a privately-owned investment advisory firm in the West End. He aims to provide solutions-focused advice to clients, having been one himself.
Zahir is well versed in structuring real estate investments in line with our clients’ strategic aims, and seeing those through the full investment life cycle (i.e. legals on the acquisition, documenting active asset management initiatives such as lease re-gears and, ultimately, disposal). He enjoys advising clients on how their investments can be tailored to comply with Islamic and ethical principles whilst minimising tax leakages. One such example includes acting for GCC investors on the £77m acquisition (and subsequent refinance) of a European HQ of an international conglomerate.
Outside of work, he is a member of the British Radio Car Association and a keen cyclist.
- Shariah-compliant real estate investment and product development
- Structuring and financing of real estate investments
- Acquisition and disposal of property
- Member of the Arab Bankers Association
- Member of the Association of Muslim Lawyers
- Islamic Finance Qualification from the Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment
- 'Key Lawyer' in the 2021 Legal 500
- Member of the Foot Anstey Diversity & Inclusion Action Group