STEP West of England Event
Join us for an afternoon with STEP and Professor Lesley King. This will be STEP's first in-person, multi-location event post Covid.
Date & Time Thursday 8 June 2023 | 14:00 - 17:00
Location In-person and live-streamed to other venues
We are hosting STEP West of England's next seminar with Lesley King on Thursday 8 June. Lesley will be presenting her afternoon seminar at our Exeter office and it will be live streamed to our Plymouth and Truro offices.
Lesley's session will cover Good practice and avoiding litigation in private client work.
Even if not facing a negligence claim, it is stressful and expensive to be involved in litigation over contested wills or trust administration. This session looks at internal office processes and procedures that can help avoid errors . It will also look at some common problems in relation to planning and drafting wills and administering estates and trusts. It will consider:
Processes and Procedures
- Arranging the initial interview
- Use of questionnaires
- Attendance notes
- Confirming instructions
- Avoiding misunderstandings
- Medical reports
- Execution of the will and checking
- Larke v Nugus precautions
- Review of precedents•
- Costs estimates – difficult beneficiaries
Planning and drafting
- Flexible life interest trusts
- Dealing with property possibly qualifying for relief
- Potential I(PFD)A claims
- Future proofing wills
- Providing for those on means tested benefits
Administration of estates
- Loss on sale relief
- Post-death variations
- Self dealing
- Fraud on a power
- Public Trustee v Cooper applications
- Appointment and removal of trustees
The seminar is being hosted at the following locations:
- Foot Anstey, Senate Court, Southernhay Gardens, Exeter, EX1 1NT
- Foot Anstey, Salt Quay House, 4 North East Quay, Sutton Harbour, Plymouth, PL4 0BN
- Foot Anstey, High Water House, Malpas Road, Truro, Cornwall TR1 1QH.
To register, please click here. For further information on the event, please contact STEP West of England by following the link.
We hope you can make it!