Our Social Housing team forms part of our wider Real Estate group and is made up of 8 partners and 14 qualified lawyers.
Operating across our 5 offices in Bristol, Taunton, Exeter, Plymouth and Truro, the team understand our local markets and can service our Registered Provider clients locally.
We are known for commercial and practical social housing development advice, built from the reputation of our well-established Real Estate development team. This means we are well placed to support Registered Providers, particularly at a time when there is a need to pursue new funding arrangements and a greater concentration on market housing to subsidise traditional activities.
We offer a depth of expertise in a variety of areas affecting the industry including property development, investment & finance, property tax, leasehold management and social housing.
We are proud to have secured a place on the Advantage South West legal panel for development and property work, enabling us to further our expertise and presence in this market.
Examples of work include:
- Development and commercial property work acting in relation to a number of site acquisitions via a combination of full development agreements, golden brick schemes, turnkey schemes, options and conditional purchase agreements
- Litigation representation in relation to a successful anti-social behaviour injunction application and commercial lease terminations
- Negotiation of new shared ownership leases of extra care housing
- Advising on the procurement, funding and development of a commercial joint venture between a charity, Registered Provider and developer in relation to a new retirement living community incorporating mixed tenure housing, extra care and dementia facilities
- Construction advice and litigation in relation to construction guarantee arrangements to a self-build scheme
- Environmental advice on the impact of the Green Deal and Energy Act reforms
- Planning agreement negotiations on an office to residential affordable scheme
- Site set up and volume residential plot sales via our nationally leading New Homes Team
Our social housing experts send fortnightly newsbites; informative and advisory commentary pieces on legal updates and economic issues that affect registered providers. If you would like to recieve these newsbites, please subscribe.
What our clients say
"Straight to the point and very good at explaining things in simple terms." Chambers 2018
"A very strong and competent team." Chambers 2017
"They're keen to learn the internal workings of a registered provider so they can adapt their advice to suit us specifically." Chambers 2016
"They've got quite a lot of expertise across the team. That really gives the group an added strength and expertise." Chambers 2016