Our Franchise Team has a wide range of experience in assisting clients in accelerating and delivering their growth plans through franchise models particularly for businesses within our retail, leisure, food & drink and media & technology sectors. Our sector expertise ensures that we provide practical and relevant advice.
Our clients include both franchisors and franchisees ranging from start-ups to large international companies.
The Team advises on the following areas in particular:
- The advantages and disadvantages of adopting a franchising model as a route to market;
- Drafting and negotiating the full range of documentation including the franchise agreement, confidentiality agreements, deposit agreements and leases;
- Assisting existing franchisors with overseas expansion;
- Advising franchisees on the terms of the franchise agreements;
- Restructuring existing franchise networks;
- The acquisitions and disposals of franchised businesses;
- Working with Franchise Consultants who assist clients with drafting detailed operations manuals and trading practices guidelines;
- Dispute resolution and enforcing franchise obligations;
- Brand protection and portfolio management;
- Direct and indirect franchisee leasing and negotiating common terms and protecting franchisors' rights and liabilities in respect of the franchisee and third party landlords;
- Negotiating franchisor guarantees, options, and step in rights with landlords;
- Premises selection and fit out specifications, procurement of premises works though to commissioning and premises mobilisation; and
- Reputation management advice.
Particular experience includes:
- Advising on franchise agreements for a large international trade tool supplier on its EU roll-out in Holland and Belgium, including trade practices documents, operations manuals and structure for potential buy-out of the franchised units.
- Acting for a 10-unit McDonalds franchise holder in relation to regulatory and franchising issues.
- Acting on the funder's side in relation to the development of Burger King outlets as well as franchised gym operations for Cannons Health Clubs and Virgin.
- Acting for the principal franchisee for Subway stores within the Bristol sub region.
- Franchising, structure of operations manual and business investment immigration for a rapidly expanding restaurant chain.
- Advising on franchising structure and revenue share for a gourmet burger restaurant chain.
We are a member of The British Franchise Association.
MEET THE TEAM