Our specialist team acts for national and regional charities by assisting with legacy administration and resolving disputes that can arise out of an estate or trust. Through partnership with Professor Stephen Pidgeon we also offer advice on legacy marketing and development, through our service known as Legacy Accelerator.
We understand the pressures facing charitable organisations that are reliant on legacies and the importance of protecting and maximising this important income stream. We assist a number of charities with their legacy administration either by enhancing their existing in house resource or dealing with it on a fully outsourced basis.
When disputes arise we draw on our extensive experience to offer practical and creative solutions in this complex area of law. We work with you to find the most effective means of resolving your issue, whether by alternative dispute resolution or, in some cases, by referral to the Court. Where required, we work closely with colleagues from our nationally recognised Media team, who are experienced in advising on reputational issues that can arise in the context of legacy disputes.
Our team is one of the largest in the South West with four solicitors practicing exclusively in this area of law. We are all members of the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS), the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and the Institute of Legacy Management (ILM).
We work closely with members of our Charity Governance, Private Wealth, Mental Capacity, Media, Property Litigation and Real Estate teams to provide a full service across all relevant legal disciplines and ensure that our clients have access to the appropriate expert to advise on their case.
We advise on a broad range of contentious issues including:
- Claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 for financial provision from an estate
- Challenges to the validity of wills (including claims on the basis of lack of testamentary capacity, undue influence and fraud)
- Applications concerning the interpretation and constructions of wills
- Disputes arising as a consequence of missing or lost wills
- Proprietary estoppel claims
- Professional negligence claims (arising out of advice regarding trusts, wills and estates)
- Executor/trustee disputes
- Breach of trust claims
- Debt recovery and enforcement actions against a deceased's estate
- Cy-près applications
- Statutory wills
We are also experienced in dealing with complexities arising from the administration of estate and trusts including:
- Applications to the Probate Registry in accordance with the Non-Contentious Probate Rules
- Abated legacies
- Requests for information
- Professional administration costs
- Sale of assets
What others say...
Partner Lucy Gill has a solid track record in advising charities in relation to legacy disputes. Legal 500 2017
Lucy Gill is 'very pragmatic and personable' Legal 500 2015
Meet the Team
Please click here to meet the team.
South West Legacy Group
South West Legacy Group is a network of legacy professionals who meet periodically to discuss legacy issues and share experiences and expertise. Previous topics include Stewardship, Legacy Administration and Legacy Campaigning.
"I never write excellent about everything – it really was!"
"Excellent as always"
"Really great session. Thank you so much"
"Very worthwhile thank you"