T: +44 (0)1392 685240
Alex specialises in privacy and data protection (including GDPR and ePrivacy), advertising, digital media, and technology and advertising related commercial contracts.
Alex leads the firm's data and information law practice, including advising on strategic compliance driven projects, working with clients to develop and implement pro-active risk mitigation strategies, and providing 'reactive' support in breach scenarios or with complex rights requests (such as SARs). Increasingly, the firm's data team is focused on supporting strategic clients with the development of data strategy and data exploitation practices including in the context of digital transformation and deployment of innovative technologies and cutting edge digital practices.
Alex works closely with a number of the firm's key clients including global household names, primarily focused on the Media and Retail sectors.
Prior to joining the firm, Alex worked in-house at Warner Bros. Entertainment for nearly 6 years where her role involved advising senior management (both in Europe and in the US) on large scale, global privacy projects (such as in relation to the data aspects of global marketing campaigns, global HR system and business process roll-outs, compliance audits, development of compliance strategy, global policy drafting and implementation, intra-group data processing arrangements and international data transfers). Alex also advised on data strategy and data-driven digital marketing practices such as programmatic and targeted advertising, the development and on-going management of websites and online clubs and loyalty programmes and large-scale, strategic social media campaigns. She was also involved in day-to-day data protection matters such as subject access and third party information requests, use of CCTV, consumer queries and employee related matters.
Alex was invited to give a keynote speech at the Chartered Institute of Marketing's National Digital Summit at the British Museum in late 2017, and is often called upon by journalists, including technology and political correspondents at The Times, to comment on data issues.
Recent experience includes:
- Leading on an iconic global retailer's GDPR compliance programme, including 'end to end' project managed risk review/audit and engagement with the Board and business teams to develop and implement risk mitigation measures;
- Advising a major media PLC on data-broking and digital advertising related contract reviews and data risk mitigation strategies in the context of digital advertising/adtech;
- Supporting a listed, global, consumer-facing technology manufacturer with the development of internet-enabled consumer goods and associated mobile app development and deployment (including UX/consumer-facing terms and international data transfers);
- Advising a Retail Financial Services PLC on complex consumer data issues associated with the appointment of authorised representatives;
- Working with a leading digital entertainment and retail business on the use of consumer profiling/algorithmic data processing associated with fraud prevention;
- Working with business teams within a digital retail business to carry out detailed analyses of risk associated with existing user journeys, and supporting with the development of targeted marketing, CRM and consent strategy;
- Advising clients across a number of sectors on the development and implementation of processes related to the handling of individuals' rights requests (including SARs), as well as supporting with individual rights requests from customers, employees and members of the public;
- Supporting numerous clients with data breach response processes, including working 'at the coal face' with senior stakeholders and supporting with notifications to the ICO and associated communications (including handling complaints and claims from individual data subjects).
'Stands out for her insightful tech and privacy advice.’ Legal 500 2019
'Notable experience in data protection and data-related marketing issues' Legal 500 2017