Senior Corporate Paralegal
Bristol, Exeter or PlymouthApply now
We are looking for an ambitious Paralegal to take a senior position in our busy Corporate team in Bristol, Exeter or Plymouth, with a specific focus on Private Equity. We are specifically looking for someone who wishes to progress their career by qualifying into Corporate, and pursue a Corporate Trainee role with us, rather than a broader training contract.
This is an excellent opportunity to lead a team of Paralegals alongside the Corporate Operations Manager, building experience working with a team of expert legal professionals with a commercial and collaborative approach, whilst gaining invaluable exposure through ownership of relationships with an exciting range of clients. Our award winning, nationally focused Private Equity team has several relationships with Private Equity houses where we undertake a range of ancillary deal related services, including: marking up non-disclosure agreements received by the PE house into their standard form, and negotiating these; conducting annual governance reviews of portfolio companies; and the listing of loan notes. The core focus of this role would be on leading the delivery of this service for two existing Private Equity sector clients, allowing succession planning for our existing Corporate Trainee as she qualifies into the team later in the year.
We are looking for candidates to demonstrate a genuine interest in developing a career at Foot Anstey, specifically with a desire to qualify into our Corporate team through the SQE/CILEX route. The role will be based in our Bristol, Exeter or Plymouth office, closely supporting Matt Stoate, Adam McKenna, Dave Williamson and the wider Corporate team.
At Foot Anstey, our people, like our values, are at the very heart of our business. You will be working in an agile environment, being a central member of the team delivering solutions focused work for our clients. With a huge technology agenda on the horizon for the Foot Anstey group, you will be exposed to new and creative ways of working which will enhance not only your IT ability but allow for a more client focused approach.
What you’ll do
- Supervision of a team of Paralegals and their work
- Providing support for M&A transactions and other corporate advisory work
- Drafting transaction and ancillary documentation
- Conducting due diligence
- Responsible for your own files and delivery of relevant client work
- Direct client contact and building relationships with a number of portfolio companies
- Project management of client workstreams
- Self-starter who drives individual projects and takes ownership of outcomes
- Drafting board minutes, investor consent letters, resolutions, and other ancillary documents
- Preparing and manging corporate filings including Companies House filings
- Coordinate clear document management, including preparing and maintaining records
- Review and negotiate NDAs
- Manage the loan note listing process for clients, including liaising with listing agents, reviewing documents provided and drafting material contract summaries
- Provide an excellent client service
- Ensure deadlines are met and a high quality of work is maintained
- Role model a collaborative mindset both within the Paralegal cohort, and the wider team
- Review processes and seek to identify opportunities to make these more efficient and/or effective
What we’re looking for
- A passion for Corporate Law and a desire to qualify into the team at Foot Anstey through SQE/CILEX, demonstrating ambition and willingness to learn
- 2+ years Paralegal experience, ideally in a Corporate team
- Leadership ability, evidenced either through experience or articulation of how you would approach different scenarios. Able to support junior members of staff and deliver constructive feedback where necessary
- Strong communication skills and an ability to reassure and act calmly and professionally at all times, often working to deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure in a busy team with a demanding and sophisticated client base, with clients often operating from different time zones around the globe
- Excellent IT skills with an in-depth knowledge of MS Outlook, Word and Excel
- Great time management and organisational ability
Our offer to you
In return for your efforts, you can expect considerable scope for personal as well as professional development. We encourage people to engage with our popular and well supported coaching and mentoring programmes, which connect you to people right across the firm and at every level. We create space for mental and physical wellbeing with our weekly Lifestyle Hour, along with 28 days of annual leave (plus an extra day for your birthday), private medical insurance (eligibility applies) and a sabbatical you can take every 5 years. You can also buy holiday, managing your benefits flexibly using our sophisticated portal to configure your total reward offer according to what you value most. As part of this, you can make ongoing or one-off donations to our charitable foundation and access our CSR programme where you can engage with community-based initiatives (as a team, or individually) twice a year, to give something back where you feel it matters.
For further details of our benefits packages, please visit the link attached – Our benefits | Foot Anstey
The firm are passionate about development and our Early Careers team offer a number of pathways to support individuals reach qualification. This includes our internal programme Advance, which supports paralegals through the SQE whilst they are completing their QWE. We also support individuals through the CILEX pathway if that is the route to qualification that they would like to take. Additionally internal candidates also have the opportunity to apply for a place on our internal vacation scheme. Please note that each of our pathways are subject to an internal application process and criteria.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a pre-employment screening process which includes a financial integrity check and a DBS check. If you wish to discuss any issues or questions in connection with this, or anything else, please do speak in confidence with a member of the Talent Acquisition Team: [email protected]
Why Foot Anstey?
As one of the UK’s fastest growing law firms, Foot Anstey believes in helping our clients and people achieve their ambitions, unlocking new and exciting opportunities. Our team of business and legal advisors are motivated by understanding clients’ goals and collaborating with them and other advisers to deliver solutions. By becoming our clients’ most trusted advisor, we are enabling them to achieve their ambitions. How we do it is just as important as what we do. Our values define the way we act with our clients and one another every day, and because of these we think our culture and environment sets us apart.
Over our history we’ve grown from a high-street firm to a significant regional and national player working with leading brands and individuals predominantly across seven key sectors: Private Equity, Retail & Consumer, Energy & Infrastructure, Islamic Finance, Developers, Private Wealth and Charities. Our strategy of gaining market share through meeting clients’ needs, investing in and developing high quality talent and using technology and innovation to enhance our services has led to significant growth. We now operate from nine locations: Truro, Plymouth, Exeter, Taunton, Bristol, Southampton and London, as well as a ‘hub’ base in Oxford and Manchester.
Our people are central to our success, in every part of the business. We actively support our employees to achieve their aspirations through offering meaningful careers with balanced rewards, which have been carefully designed to focus on personal wellbeing. We offer continual opportunities for support and professional development through our Business Skills Academy and Digital Skills Academy and believe in empowering each other to achieve and strive to create a progressive and inclusive working environment. Being forward-thinking, we are open to discussing flexible working patterns for all of our vacancies, with over 40% of our existing employees having a permanent flexible working pattern. In addition, our impressive suite of flexible benefits will enable you to prioritise what matters most to you.
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is integral to delivering our strategy, and we were delighted to be awarded the National Equality Standard for a second time. We consider this to be right at the heart of our priorities, and goes way beyond our policies – it’s something we consider across everything we do, from the make-up of our client teams, encouraging staff to reach their potential, through to our leadership. We aim to support our clients and our people to achieve their goals, regardless of background, gender, race, beliefs, sexuality or other non-work related factors. We champion aspiration and encourage it in everyone that works with us. Our Connections Groups are developed and run by people in our firm, and contribute to the way we run our firm, support our people, and engage with awareness days. To date, we have African-Caribbean, Asian, Islamic, LGBTQ+ and Menopause Connections Groups. Members of the Groups are supported to be part of external networks and attend specific events – to learn more and help us grow as a firm. As such we actively encourage applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any characteristics protected by law. If you apply for this role, you may be encouraged to answer our diversity and social mobility monitoring questions, so please be reassured that any answers you provide will remain entirely anonymous and confidential and will in no way impact your application.
Foot Anstey. Seriously Ambitious.